Leaving your job can be complicated. People may be inconvenienced and feelings may be hurt. To make things as simple and professional as possible, follow these guidelines:
- Decide on a Timeline: Figure out if you should give two weeks’ notice or more. You don’t want to leave projects hanging.
- Remember the People: Your superiors and colleagues are not “the company.” Treat them with the respect they deserve.
- Tell Your Boss in Person: Do your boss the courtesy of letting him/her know face-to-face that you’ll be leaving your job.
- Formally Resign: Make sure your resignation is documented; submit and e-mail to your boss and cc your HR department.
- Connect on LinkedIn: Don’t let your relationships go to waste. Stay in contact with anyone whose company you’ve enjoyed.
Leaving on good terms is the best way to a brighter future. Do well by everyone and they will probably do well by you.